Flood Precautions and Tips for Pakistan
In a country like Pakistan, with its long monsoon season, floods are a recurring natural phenomenon every year. They have been known to wreak havoc on local communities and disrupt everyday life in flood-prone areas. The country has witnessed several major floods since independence, including the one in 1963 that killed over 20,000 people. Although there are no foolproof ways to avoid natural disasters like floods, there are certain precautions you can take to reduce your risk of being affected by them. In the monsoon season, rainwater runs down from the mountains through fast-moving rivers and streams into lakes and artificial ponds called â€˜kotâ€™. These water bodies get flooded every year as a result of this overflow of water from smaller streams and rivulets. Thus, living in an area close to such water bodies increases your risk of getting affected by flooding during monsoon season. Read on to find out more about precautionary measures you can take against potential flood risks at home or while commuting.
Important Tips to Protect Yourself from Flooding
- Check your flood insurance policy and make sure that it covers flooding.
- Stay away from banks of rivers, lakes, and ponds during the monsoon season.
- Avoid visiting places near rivers like floodplains, etc. during monsoon season.
- Avoid parking your car in places adjacent to water bodies like rivers, lakes, etc.
- Avoid walking close to the banks of rivers and ponds during monsoon season.
- Avoid spending a lot of time indoors or near windows during heavy rains.
- Avoid digging in your garden during monsoon season.
- Avoid storing valuables or keeping important documents in your basement or ground floor.
- Avoid wearing flashy or expensive jewelry during monsoon season.
- Avoid traveling in low-lying areas near water sources.
Plan ahead and know your exit routes
- Before monsoon season, plan your exit routes in case of flooding.
- Have at least two alternative routes to exit your home.
- Make sure that your exit routes are not flooded.
- Make sure that your neighbors also have their exit routes ready.
Install a sump pump in your basement or at the lowest point in your house
- Install a sump pump in your basement or at the lowest point in your house.
- Sump pumps work to pump out excess water from your basement or ground floor in case of flooding.
- Make sure to install a device that can withstand high water levels and heavy currents.
Install a battery-operated alarm for early flood detection
- Install a battery-operated alarm for early flood detection.
- Such alarms are designed to detect water in your basement or ground floor and sound an alarm to warn you against flooding.
- If flooding is detected, such alarms automatically shut off your power supply to avoid electrocution.
Have sandbags and inflatable tubes ready
- Have sandbags and inflatable tubes ready.
- Sandbags are used for blocking the flow of water in case of flooding.
- Inflatable tubes can be used for diverting the flow of water.
- Flooding is a recurring natural phenomenon in Pakistan and has the potential to disrupt everyday life in flood-prone areas.
- Flooding can occur due to heavy rainfall, overflowing of rivers, or an outburst of a nearby lake.
- Flooding can cause a lot of damage to property, as well as endanger people's lives.
- There are certain precautionary measures you can take to minimize the risk of being affected by flooding.